Assistant Build Manager - Graduate
Here at MJ Gleeson plc, we specialise in urban housing regeneration and strategic land trading. We are expanding really quickly and we are now looking for motivated graduates to join us in meeting our ambitious growth plans. This exciting opportunity is perfect for graduates looking to join our successful company which has recently been voted the most sustainable plc in the UK.
We now have fantastic Graduate opportunities for Assistant Build Managers in each of our area offices across the north of England.
This is a great opportunity for newly qualified candidates to get a foot into the exciting and fast paced construction industry.
The role of the Assistant Build Manager is to work closely with the Regional Build Manager to gain invaluable exposure into the industry and the management of the build process from start to finish, whilst working with internal and external stakeholders. Your Graduate journey will be supported by experienced tradespeople and construction professionals.
- Assist with planning and programming the site in line with the approved feasibility and in accordance with the preliminary budgets and estimates.
- In conjunction with the Technical and Commercial Departments, highlighting and resolving queries and problems.
- Be conversant with latest NHBC standards, and ensure Reportable Items are kept to a minimum.
- Assist in resolving specific problems concerning Service Authorities and to ensure that these are processed in line with the development programme.
- Informing the Build Manager of shortages of labour, quality of workmanship, quality of materials and report on sub-contractor performance.
- Discuss with Site Managers the importance of the Key Performance Indicators and assist in helping them meet a satisfactory level.
- Attend as required, the regular site meetings to discuss, monitor and overcome disputes and problems of either a financial or productivity nature.
- Attend weekly sales/build meetings in the absence of the Build Manager.
- Liaise with both the Sales Department with regards to specific requirements, preparation for “Open Weekends”, special promotions, etc.
- Assist with preparing and monitoring the build programme for legal completion dates in conjunction with the Regional Directors releases and the budget.
- Assist the Build Manager in site management training requirements including ensuring full compliance of the Site Managers Manual.
- Ensure Site Managers hold regular ‘tool box talks’.
- Complete regular labour only booking-in audits and assist the Build Manager as required.
- Host regular sub-contractor meeting to provide feedback on performance and communicate the business needs and programme requirements.
- One specific day each week allocated to carry out construction quality checks concentrating on foundation works and brickwork.
Foundation checks will include:
- An assessment regarding the type and depth of foundation
- Records kept by site
- Amount paid to ground workers and bricklayers
Brickwork checks will include:
- Cavity trays free of mortar
- Wall ties – number and alignment
- Line and level and general quality
- Mortar mix
- Ensure that all staff including sub-contractors’ work in accordance and comply with the Company Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensure all matters relating to COSHH are in place and that all sub-contractors and suppliers comply with Construction Health & Safety requirements.
- All encompassing role ensuring commencement and completion of all projects, monitoring build quality, auditing, implementing safe practices, and ensuring sites are well managed by identifying staff training requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
Academically you will have completed, or be about to complete your Bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as construction management, construction engineering management, quantity surveying/engineering management, on course to achieve a 2:1 or above.
- Generous holiday entitlement of 26 days per annum + bank holidays
- Choice of company car or car allowance
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Holiday Buy Back Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme (with company and voluntary contribution)
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme (upon successful completion of probationary period)
- Healthshield membership (upon successful completion of probationary period)
- Life Assurance Scheme
- The opportunity to join our Share Purchase Plan upon completion of a year working with Gleesons
About the Company
Gleeson Homes specialises in building low costs homes on brownfield sites across the north of England, transforming areas of derelict land into brand new communities of new homes which are priced to suit local people.
Gleeson Homes, building more than 1,000 houses a year, is part of the MJ Gleeson Group of companies and is expanding in a rapid, controlled manner throughout the North and Midlands. We are currently opening Area Offices at the rate of one a year.
Gleeson Homes and Regeneration