Assistant Management Accountant
As a well-established and recognisable brand in the house building sector, MJ Gleeson is a highly profitable organisation with a unique business model.
The business operates across 2 main divisions, Gleeson Homes and Gleeson Strategic Land. Gleeson Homes specialises in low-cost house building, offering new homes to low-income families in the North of England and Midlands. Gleeson Strategic Land specialises in land promotion by securing residential planning consents on land mainly in the south. The Group operates from 11 offices across England, with the Homes division contributing approximately two thirds of the Group’s operating profit, and Strategic Land contributing one third.
A vacancy has arisen for an Assistant Management Accountant for the Strategic Land, Corporate, and Legacy divisions, reporting directly to the Finance Director. You will be responsible for accurate and timely management reporting your divisions and dealing with a variety of finance related queries from the wider business. There is scope to increase operational involvement and potential for travel to the Strategic Land office in Hampshire.
- Maintenance of the general ledger for three divisions, including processing land sale transactions and general ledger journals on the COINS IT system
- Processing all month end journals including accruals, prepayments, intercompany recharges,
- Assisting with monthly forecasting and budgeting
- Preparation and reporting of monthly management accounts for three divisions
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Understanding variances between reported, forecast and budgeted results for the divisions and communicating these internally as appropriate
- Preparation of VAT returns
- Daily finance support to the operational team
- Preparing for and assisting with the external audit
- Ad hoc analysis as required by the Finance Director, CFO and wider business
The Ideal Candidate
- An individual with practical experience of monthly management accounts processes, ideally suited to either a part-qualified accountant (eg. CIMA / ACCA / AAT) or an experienced management accountant
- A confident IT user with strong Excel skills and an ability to pick up new IT systems quickly
- Attention to detail, ensuring that monthly reporting is both accurate and complete
- A team player with strong communication skills and a can-do attitude
- Experience of working to tight timescales, in particular month end reporting in a larger business / plc environment, would be advantageous
- Flexibility for the scope to travel down to Hampshire up to once a month
- Generous holiday entitlement of 26 days per annum + bank holidays
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Holiday Buy Back Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme (with company and voluntary contribution)
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme (upon successful completion of probationary period)
- Healthshield membership (upon successful completion of probationary period)
- Life Assurance Scheme
- The opportunity to join our Share Purchase Plan upon completion of a year working with Gleesons
About the Company
Gleeson Homes specialises in building low costs homes on brownfield sites across the north of England, transforming areas of derelict land into brand new communities of new homes which are priced to suit local people.
Gleeson Homes, building more than 1,000 houses a year, is part of the MJ Gleeson Group of companies and is expanding in a rapid, controlled manner throughout the North and Midlands. We are currently opening Area Offices at the rate of one a year.
Gleeson Homes and Regeneration