Every member of the team at Gleeson contributes to the vision of; Building Homes. Changing Lives. The key to achieving this vision is working together in line with our company values of being, Passionate, Collaborative and Respectful and genuinely caring about building affordable, quality homes. Where they are needed for the people who need them most.
Gleeson are looking for passionate individuals who are keen to pursue a career in our growing Commercial team at one of the top housebuilders in the UK. During your time as Commercial Graduate, you will undergo specific commercial related training and mentoring with the aim to progressing a career here at Gleeson within the Commercial department. Your role will involve working collaboratively with the Commercial Manager(s) to support them in the day-to-day management of the Commercial function across the Division.
The steppingstone to a rewarding career in the Gleeson Commercial team will bring you all the benefits of regional mentoring, plus unique opportunities to get involved in all aspects of the housebuilding process; Land, Buying, Sales, Technical, Build, Site, Construction.
The Commercial Graduate position focusses on developing your technical, professional, personal and leadership skills. With a mix of practical day-to-day training and skill nurturing, you’ll hone your skills in a fast-moving, frontline role with collaborative support.
The Commercial Graduate role is working closely with the commercial team to develop skills in the following key role responsibilities:
- To assist the Regional Quantity Surveyor to ensure that all contracts are run in line with budgetary and specification requirements
- Preparation and issue of subcontract enquiries
- Tender analysis for issue to Regional Quantity Surveyor
- Site specific Take Off’s for use in site budget
- Placing orders following instruction from the Regional Quantity Surveyor
- Visit sites at the request of the Regional Quantity Surveyor to carry out progress reports and check on measure
- Produce notification and intention to withhold payment letters as directed by Regional Quantity Surveyor
- Cost coding of both sub-contract and materials information
- Negotiations with sub-contractors concerning day works, variations, etc.
- Assisting in the costing of all variations
- Distribution of drawings, schedules and general information to Sub-Contractors
- Assisting in the monitoring of all potential claims, general price increases, and day works
- Requesting and chasing subcontractor pre-qualification information
- Preparation of contra charges as directed by the Regional Quantity Surveyor
- Any other duties as directed by Regional Quantity Surveyor
The commercial team integrates with all regional disciplines, therefore this role will involve working alongside the regional commercial department in order to engage and work collaboratively with other disciplines both based in the office and on site.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 2:1 in relevant degree – e.g., Quantity Surveying, Accounts, Construction, Finance, Business Studies, etc. (essential)
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills
- A confident IT user with strong Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills and an ability to pick up new IT systems quickly (essential)
- Attention to detail, ensuring that work is accurate and completed
- A team player with strong communication skills and a can-do attitude
- The confidence to engage with people and tackle problems as and when they arise
- Hold a valid driving licence (essential)
- Generous holiday entitlement of 26 days per annum + bank holidays
- Choice of company car or car allowance
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Holiday Buy Back Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme
- Healthshield membership
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Share Purchase Plan