Head of Commercial
To support the Midlands region in delivering strong production cost control and sound commercial decision making, ensuring that commercial risks are well managed.
- Be the owner of the Commercial Policy & Procedures, working with stakeholders to ensure they are effective and helping ensure they are complied with.
- Directly and indirectly influence commercial decision making across the region for the individual business unit and development proposals.
- Ensure we optimize production costs at regional level.
- Work with stakeholders across the business to share and deliver good practice and ensure there is a strong and consistent culture to control costs.
- Engage with external stakeholders to learn from other organizations.
Commercial Policy & Procedures
- Work with stakeholders to ensure Commercial Policy & Procedures are effective and complied with.
- Put in place measures to review/audit compliance with policy and report performance and risk areas to the Executive. Including, personally, maintaining a regular presence in your region to ensure there is consistent good practice and compliance.
- Work with all internal stakeholders and independent Auditors to continually improve performance.
- Ensure there is appropriate awareness and training on commercial practice.
Commercial Decision Making
- Ensure there is good visibility of business and business unit performance through reporting to inform decision making.
- Independently review all Project packs (land/development proposals) and advise the region on whether Divisional proposals are thoroughly considered.
- Develop & maintain a various standard framework contracts and agreements. For example:
o With utilities.
o NHBC Warranty and Road & Sewer Bonds.
- Ensure Gleeson have an adequate supplier base that meet our commercial requirements and that standards are not compromised for short term financial gain.
- Be an advisor to the Gleeson on individual commercial issues, working with the Group Commercial Director.
Production Cost Optimization
- Work with others to develop a portfolio of standard homes, taking the lead on cost optimisation.
- Monitor and benchmark production cost performance against budget.
- Manage production cost review processes.
- Independently review and approve large orders, variations and payments.
- Lead on commercial and cost aspects of the R&D programme.
- Monitor and advise on commercial, cost and cost recovery aspects of repair, maintenance and customer service activity to ensure there is a good balance between up front and post occupation costs.
The Ideal Candidate
- Will have been a Divisional Commercial Manager or Director at a major housebuilder.
- Will be an experienced Quantity Surveyor and likely to be Chartered.
- Experienced in all commercial activities from land acquisition to completion and follow up areas such as customer service maintenance and cost recovery from supply chain.
- Generous holiday entitlement of 26 days per annum + bank holidays
- Choice of company car or car allowance
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Holiday Buy Back Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme
- Healthshield membership
- Life Assurance Scheme
- The opportunity to join our Share Purchase Plan upon completion of a year working with Gleeson
Gleeson is the best housebuilder in the UK, we are changing lives by building affordable, high quality homes where they are needed for the people who need them the most. At £130k our average selling price is half that of other housebuilders and this is what sets Gleeson out from the rest. We achieve this by working collaboratively, employing passionate individuals and are respectful to all our employees, customers and subcontractors.
Gleeson is a listed PLC valued at over £0.5 billion with a share price growing 14% pa over the last five years and is the most highly rated housebuilder on the stock market. Gleeson is a highly profitable business with ambitious growth plans and is poised to continue growing at a rapid pace. Dynamically led by the strongest management team in the sector Gleeson are delivering high margins, higher growth and have the cash resources to continue growing. To support this growth we are looking for ambitious, results driven individuals with a desire for progression to join our ever expanding team.
As an employee of Gleeson you will not just be an employee but a member of the Gleeson family, a collaborative team that treats each other with respect. Here at Gleeson we are passionate about developing and supporting our employees to work to the best of their potential and encourage progression from within.