Head of Land
Gleeson Homes are the leading deliverer of low-cost homes across the North of England. We currently have three Divisions covering eight regional offices. Our Head Office is in Sheffield where the company have been based for over 100 years.
We are on track to build and sell 2000 units per annum by 2022, but we won’t stop there, we have ambitious growth plans beyond that, and a key part to that growth is to expand into the West Midlands.
Gleeson have a unique business model, in that over 80% of customers are first time buyers, with around two thirds meeting the governments new “key worker” definition. It is our intention to increase “key worker” sales to 75% of all customers going forward. Our average selling price across all our range is circa 135k currently. We have 71 live sites across the Homes Business and look forward to exceeding 100 live sites soon.
When a customer buys one of our 2 bed family homes at typically around 110k with help to buy, the weekly mortgage is around £70, ensuring that this is much more cost effective than renting.
Initially based in our Nottingham office, this is a new and exciting opportunity to build and shape a new Gleeson region covering the West Midlands area stretching from Leicester over to North Staffs.
You will be responsible for the acquisition of land in this new region, to secure a budgeted number of sites, which meet or exceed the Gleeson gross profit margin hurdle rates, and allow a fully functioning area office to be opened in due course. You will see acquisitions through the legal process. You will also be heavily involved in the planning approval process on your sites.
- To research and attend seminars, conferences, and events to keep fully informed of the current and key issues affecting land acquisition and its principles.
- To promote Gleeson as a company who will become a major deliverer of low-cost home ownership in the West Midlands.
- Agree HOTs and purchase land to ensure continuity of land supply to at least meet future forecasts.
- Provide detailed land bids, that demonstrate the company’s requirement in respect of profitability is met.
- Demonstrate that site acquisition terms concur with agreed and authorised land bids.
- Negotiate and prepare the legal documentation associated with land acquisitions.
- Steer the land purchase proposal trough the Gleeson’s land acquisition Gateway process – pre bid through to land drawdown.
- Draw to the attention of the Group Land Director any issues which may affect existing or future obligations.
- Liaise with legal representatives and advise on the legal status of developments.
- Brief design teams, external consultants, and internal departments to ensure the successful delivery of planning on sites:
- Liaise with Gleeson’s planning dept to ensure planning is delivered within time and to meet profit hurdle.
- Negotiate on behalf of the company, planning agreements that meet the company’s requirements in respect of forecast profit.
The Ideal Candidate
- Highly motivated, with a track record of residential land deals in the West Midlands area.
- Have sound commercial acumen, be ambitious and want to develop a long-term relationship with an employer who is looking to grow their business and who can satisfy your ambition.
- Have knowledge and experience of overseeing the legal process on conditional contract (subject to planning) land purchases.
- Fully understand the planning process for attaining residential planning approvals.
- Generous holiday entitlement of 26 days per annum + bank holidays
- Choice of company car or car allowance
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Holiday Buy Back Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme
- Healthshield membership
- Life Assurance Scheme
- The opportunity to join our Share Purchase Plan upon completion of a year working with Gleeson
Gleeson is the best housebuilder in the UK, we are changing lives by building affordable, high quality homes where they are needed for the people who need them the most. At £130k our average selling price is half that of other housebuilders and this is what sets Gleeson out from the rest. We achieve this by working collaboratively, employing passionate individuals and are respectful to all our employees, customers and subcontractors.
Gleeson is a listed PLC valued at over £0.5 billion with a share price growing 14% pa over the last five years and is the most highly rated housebuilder on the stock market. Gleeson is a highly profitable business with ambitious growth plans and is poised to continue growing at a rapid pace. Dynamically led by the strongest management team in the sector Gleeson are delivering high margins, higher growth and have the cash resources to continue growing. To support this growth we are looking for ambitious, results driven individuals with a desire for progression to join our ever expanding team.
As an employee of Gleeson you will not just be an employee but a member of the Gleeson family, a collaborative team that treats each other with respect. Here at Gleeson we are passionate about developing and supporting our employees to work to the best of their potential and encourage progression from within.