Head of Technical
Gleeson have an exciting opportunity for an experienced technical professional to join our Midlands region as Head of Technical. Reporting to the Divisional Managing Director and Operations Director, you will have overarching responsibility for the area technical function within the Midlands and report on all technical, engineering and architectural aspects of the business from land acquisition through to site completions and final adoptions.
- Provide practical and cost-effective technical service to the region reinforcing the guidance and support of the technical team who manage site evaluation, architectural and engineering design, and the investigations of any technical problems encountered and help/support the Technical Managers in providing economical and viable solutions. This may involve liaison with, appointment of and co-ordination of external professionals.
- Work effectively with the senior management team and take a “whole company” perspective to managing issues, in accordance with corporate responsibility for the business.
- Responsible for corporate governance extending across all business areas and to actively promote best practice throughout the company.
- Work collaboratively with Divisional Managing Director and Operations Director in the management of the region; help with setting budgets, minimising risks, maximising opportunities, achieving the regions targets; and seeking to positively influence the progression and growth of the region.
- Responsible for the regions technical function to ensure best practices are followed, costs are controlled, revenue generation is maximised, and value is increased for the region.
- To assist Land Department and the area Technical Manager on technical viability of new sites at conception stage.
- Monitor the planning process ensuring technical advice is given at key stages to achieve permissions with as few conditions as possible.
- Monitor and track discharge of conditions to ensure compliance.
- Ensure statutory approvals e.g. S104 and S38 Agreements are obtained in a timely manner.
- In conjunction with the Divisional Managing Director and Operations Director, assist in the preparation of the development programmes and monitor with the design teams, both internal and external to ensure adherence to programmes.
- Ensure technical department procedures, layouts and technical reports are adhered to and produced to agreed programmes.
- Ensure sales and legal information is prepared by the Technical Managers in line with company procedures as required.
- Monitor development in conjunction with Bonding facility to ensure the earliest Bond reduction and adoption of POS, Roads and Sewers.
- In conjunction with the Operations Director; lead, communicate with, develop, and performance manage the technical department to ensure they are fully motivated to achieve best performance to meet the company’s needs.
- Ensure the region has sufficient, competent and capable external consultants to support the needs of the region, negotiating fees to ensure services are optimised and fees are within budget.
- Present current issues at senior team meetings and be involved in discussing and influencing all aspects of the business.
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience working as either a Technical Director and/or Senior Technical Manager.
- Possess a strong knowledge base ideally from a technical design background of either architectural or civil engineering (preferably both).
- Knowledge of the housebuilding industry gained preferably with a high-volume house builder.
- Educated to HNC/HND level in a construction related qualification.
- Experienced in leading and developing a team of staff.
- Possess strong negotiation and communication skills.
- A broad technical understanding of the house building sector.
- Generous holiday entitlement of 26 days per annum + bank holidays
- Choice of company car or car allowance
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Holiday Buy Back Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme
- Healthshield membership
- Life Assurance Scheme
- The opportunity to join our Share Purchase Plan upon completion of a year working with Gleeson
Gleeson is the best housebuilder in the UK, we are changing lives by building affordable, high quality homes where they are needed for the people who need them the most. At £130k our average selling price is half that of other housebuilders and this is what sets Gleeson out from the rest. We achieve this by working collaboratively, employing passionate individuals and are respectful to all our employees, customers and subcontractors.
Gleeson is a listed PLC valued at over £0.5 billion with a share price growing 14% pa over the last five years and is the most highly rated housebuilder on the stock market. Gleeson is a highly profitable business with ambitious growth plans and is poised to continue growing at a rapid pace. Dynamically led by the strongest management team in the sector Gleeson are delivering high margins, higher growth and have the cash resources to continue growing. To support this growth we are looking for ambitious, results driven individuals with a desire for progression to join our ever expanding team.
As an employee of Gleeson you will not just be an employee but a member of the Gleeson family, a collaborative team that treats each other with respect. Here at Gleeson we are passionate about developing and supporting our employees to work to the best of their potential and encourage progression from within.